2 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Director: Tobe Hooper
Writer:    Kim Henkel
               Tobe Hooper
Starring: Marilyn Burns
               Paul A. Partain
               Edwin Neal
               Jim Siedow
               Gunnar Hansen
Rating:    *****

The original cult classic from the long running series is easily the scariest. The mask, the setting, the family...it still sends shivers up my spine just thinking about it. What I loved the most is, it was the first film I saw that was 'based on a true story', and even though it was mainly done for advertising purposes, reading that made it much more horrifying for me.

Sally and her brother, Franklin (Burns & Partain), are travelling through Texas with friends to see their Grandfathers gravestone. Along the way they pick up a hitchhiker (Neal) who turns out to be pretty unhinged, so they dump him. After stopping for gas and the proprietor (Siedow) saying the pumps are empty, they carry on and stumble upon an 'abandoned' house. This of course is where Leather face resides and this is when things get terrifying.

This was the first film I ever saw that involved torture and it really was disturbing to watch. The worst scene for me is when Sally is tied up at the dinner table, and Leatherface (Hansen) and his family, the hitchhiker and proprietor, are abusing her and hurting her. It was so disturbing, and the fact that Leatherface is dressed as a woman adds a whole new disturbing level on top of it all. It really shows off how unhinged he is, and how messed up the whole family are.

The direction by Hooper is superb, and the gritty and raw nature of it adds a new grimy level to the film. The best part for me is Gunnar Hansen's performance, he does a superb job portraying the mentally deranged, murderous brute Leatherface, and everytime he is on screen or I see a picture of him in costume I get seriously creeped out. It is one of those films that has terrified millions and I am sure it will terrify even more in the future.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre just missed my number 1 spot, and maybe you think it should be higher (or lower). Let me know in the comments section.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - Trailer

Comments